Monday, December 31, 2012

(pretend I'm Bugs Bunny) HAPPY new year! HAPPY new year!

Some of my accomplishments, excitements, events, happenings and so on of.... 2012
So! Here is a list of things of importance to the public or just myself that happened in the year we've just skimmed over. The beginning half was as a 17 year old, the end half as an 18 year old (yeah, that's right - an adult!). And guess what! Next year I get to experience it the same way! 18 and 19, they sound like a welcoming combination.

Well, my January started out the same as I hope they always will.... a trip to Brisbane to visit my dear friends the Abrahams. And the Hogbins, of course!! Next month (or really, tomorrow) will be much the same, only better. Because it can only ever get better.

Thing two: I created not only a website (for a fashion store, fancy that!) but also a Vodka label (best assignment ever!) and a poster encouraging anti-whaling. It was a good semester; it was the same semester that my best pieces of writing were wrung out of me.

I went to my first ever paintball game! Lara and Jim had a joint hens/bucks night (then got married! can't forget that!) of paintballing. It was epic. One of the best moments of my year was when we were free-for-all and I was being mowed down by a group of guys (I found out later they had no bullets. Freak attack for nothing) and I threw myself into a trench and waded knee-length to safety. I reenacted a war scene like in the movies!!

I partook in x2 7-day-photography-task thingamajigs with Lara A. And speaking of Lara A. I also got to 'meet' her this year! We've spent a lot of time on media getting to know each other, and provided everything works out in January I will actually meet the kid!! Wahoo!

Throughout the year I have travelled to Sydney 4 times. One of the times (*bows in worship of the memory*) was to see The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers with Caleb and Alice in the Sydney Opera House. (the full post is here. Dude mate, totes worth it.)
I stayed that night with the travelling Hoggies at their friends' house, then we drove home to a session of ice-skating with the Ventura's. It was a superb day that ended too soon.

Also in the past 12 months I have been asked to photograph 5 events, 2 being professional. Or as professional as it gets for an amateur, ey wot!

This might be somewhat uninteresting to you, but it has almost made my year. Somewhere along the way I decided on my favorite band. Correct, Panic! at The Disco have made it to the top complete with full obsession on my side!

You'll never believe this, but... I went skiing TWICE in two months! How cray! The first time Bek and I went to Perisher with Joel and Josh, Emma and Kate and the second time Thredbo saw, wholly unco, Bek, Jamie and myself with Brad. Skiing freaks me out, sometimes I have nightmares about it. But hopefully next year I will be gliding down hills with a smile!

I reached the half way mark for my degree of Writing. *hi-five*

This also might be something of no consequence to you (or me, even. I think I'm getting carried away) but with the help of my little brothers Super Mario Bros. has received a workout, including all but one world being unlocked and RSI. But hey! it's the memories.

Having said that, be prepared for a few more shallow 'thrills' in the near ending of this post. I can't help being excited about them...
well, someone foolish showed me, indirectly, Smallville. 'Where's an obsessed girl I can talk to?' please, look this way.
Also, Community has quite made these past two months pass somewhat anti-socially.

I am not ashamed of this one... I saw the movie. The real, live movie of THE HOBBIT. The actual Hobbit. And to top it off, I was a Hobbit.

Also, I saw the 'Musical Phenomenon' of Les Mis, starring Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway and so on. It was definitely the best casting of the classic; Eddie Redmayne did the perfect Marius. The fact that it was a movie rather than a staged (literally) show it captured the rawness of the period and emotion was shown through the songs as if it was real. Plus I cried (mildly) 4 times, so it was clearly amazing for a drama.

I bought a Monkey Mania worker a Subway cookie.

Koorong had its first 'Koorong at Dusk'! It was a night full of games and singing, performances and radio streaming live, making for a happy time. Next year, it will definitely be on!

I just might win a competition! I entered a summer comp and (have I already spoken of this? Hmm...) things are looking bright! They published my image, along with a paragraph, in the newspaper. Made my day, it did!


Forgive me, I have stolen too much of your time. Please, let's remain friends. I'll do whatever it takes! You want me to never post again? Done.
Have a Happy New Year, sir. Thank you, thank you. 


3 comments:

Lara Anastasia said...

What a smashing year, m'dear! Loved reading through all your accomplishments.

And, we need to do another photo project (of a sort) soon!!!

Happy New Year oox

Holly said...

Happy new year, Rachel!
I'm sure you'll have an awesome time with Lara if you get to meet her, she's pretty awesome!
Oh, and the Hobbit was pretty awesome. And seeing The Lord of the Rings with Alice in Sydney was definitely very awesome!
Can't wait to see what happens in 2013! :)

Emma Ventura said...

:D I love this post! ^_^ It's so full of happy words! :D
Skiing was EPIC! :D I can't wait for next year! 8D
HAPPY NEW YEAR LOVE! :D ♥
See you not tommorow but the next day! xD